Difficult people can be dangerous, unreliable and unpredictable. They can be abusive and extremely hard to live with or work with if they are angry. That doesn’t mean they are bad through and through, it just means you better know how to take care of yourself when you are dealing with them. The difficult man or woman in your life might even be someone you love.
You will feel better about yourself and other people as well, after reading this article.
1. Recognize that impossible people exist; you will eventually encounter them. There isn’t a thing you can do about it. The first step is all about facing reality: If you think you might be dealing with an impossible person, you’re probably right. When in doubt, proceed as instructed below. The headaches you save will be your own.
2. You will feel the urge either to become aggressive yourself or to run away. Try not to shout back or to burst into tears. Stay calm, count to 10, take deep breaths and stay in control.
3. Stand up to them, but don’t fight. Overly aggressive people expect others to either run away from them or react with rage. Your goal is simply to assertively express your own views, not try to win a battle of right and wrong.
4. Listen to what the person has to say, before trying to talk to him or her. Don’t argue, it produces no positive results.
5. Ask yourself, “How would I feel in his position?”
Share your thoughts in the comments. See you there!